Kenneth M. Goldman has over twenty-five years of major law firm, in-house, and other legal experience.
Mr. Goldman was an associate at Morrison & Foerster in San Francisco (moved with the Irell & Manella patent group in 1991) for three years, focusing on patent prosecution in the chemical and life sciences and the biotechnology industry, and also patent litigation. Since leaving Morrison & Foerster, Mr. Goldman has worked over twenty years in-house at chemical, pharmaceutical, and biotech corporations large and small, handling all intellectual property issues for companies such as Chiron, Cell Genesys, Dynavax, Schering-Plough and Novartis AG. He has worked on numerous patent litigations and inter partes matters including multijurisdictional litigation that involved both global alignment and strategic work on individual matters in the US, UK, Australia, Germany, Belgium, France, Netherlands and Italy. He is currently IP Counsel for the Warner Babcock Institute for Green Chemistry, a company dedicated to sustainable design in energy and other industries, and Collaborative Medicinal Development LLC, a life science corporation with two drugs in early phase clinical trials.
Mr. Goldman graduated summa cum laude from Harvard University in 1981 with an A.B. in Chemistry and Physics, received an M.S. in Chemistry from the University of California, Berkeley in 1985, and graduated from Boalt Hall School of Law (UC Berkeley) in 1988, Order of the Coif. After law school, he clerked for the Honorable Judge Milton I. Shadur of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois. He is admitted to the California Bar and to practice in the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
- Boalt Hall School of Law (University of California, Berkeley), J.D., Order of the Coif, 1988
- University of California, Berkeley, M.S., Chemistry, 1985
- Harvard University, A.B., Chemistry and Physics, summa cum laude, 1981
- The Honorable Milton I. Shadur, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
Awards, Honors, and Publications
- National Merit Scholarship (Harvard University)
- Phi Beta Kappa (Harvard University)
- Exxon Fellowship (University of California, Berkeley)
- Procter and Gamble Fellowship (University of California, Berkeley)
- Patent prosecution in chemical, petrochemical, pharmaceutical, bio/life sciences, renewable materials, alternative fuels, and clean water technology.
- Strategic IP counseling in chemical, pharmaceutical, bio/life sciences, and high energy physics technology.
- Inter partes, interference, and patent litigation experience in pharmaceutical and biotechnology.
- Supervised and coordinated related patent infringement suits in six countries, and helped negotiate a favorable global settlement of same.