Matthew J. Reedy earned his B.A. in 2006 from Northwestern University, where he was a member of the Northwestern Debate Society. After two years as a consultant for Accenture, he enrolled in law school at the University of Notre Dame where he was on the Dean's List, earned the Dean's Award in Constitutional Law and graduated magna cum laude. While at Notre Dame, he was the Federal Courts, Practice & Procedure Editor for the Notre Dame Law Review, served as President of the Sports, Communication & Entertainment Law Forum, participated in Bengal Bouts and was Head Coach of the undergraduate Parliamentary Debate Team.
As Massey & Gail’s first hire, Matthew has litigated a wide range of matters. He has taken four cases to verdict in jury and bench trials and successfully litigated four commercial disputes in arbitration. He has experience in every phase of litigation, from discovery through judgment collection and appeal.
- University of Notre Dame Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, 2011
- Northwestern University, B.A., 2006
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- "Witnessing the Witness: The Case for Exclusion of Eyewitness Expert Testimony," 86 Notre Dame L. Rev. 905 (2011)
Awards and Honors
- Dean’s List, University of Notre Dame Law School
- Dean’s Award in Constitutional Law, University of Notre Dame Law School
- Federal Courts, Practice & Procedure Editor, University of Notre Dame Law Review
- Eagle Scout
- Successfully represented Defendants in certified class action bench trial alleging violation of California § 17200 arising from allegedly deceptive adjustable rate mortgage loan disclosures. Schramm et al. v. JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. et al. (C.D. Cal., 9th Cir., 2014).
- Successfully represented Plaintiff employer in ERISA withdrawal liability dispute before Labor arbitrator, the Northern District of Illinois, and the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals. W.R. Weis Company v. Laborers’ Pension Fund(AAA Arbitration, N.D. Il., 7th Cir., 2015).
- Successfully defended JPMorgan Chase in a California judicial reference involving a fraud and breach of contract claim by a homeowners’ association relating to Chase’s permitting and installation of a sign on the side of a Los Angeles skyscraper. JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. v. 1100 Wilshire Property Owners, et al. (Los Angeles Superior Court-Judicial Reference, 2017).
- Secured summary judgment in Plaintiff’s favor against former landlord for breach of contract and conversion in connection with landlord’s failure to repair flood damage. JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. v. EFN Northfield Property, LLC (N.D. IL, 2017).
- Secured a $6,490,000 jury verdict after a month-long trial in favor of a telecommunications company in a case involving breach of contract and other state-law claims. Straitshot Communications, Inc. v. Telekenex, Inc., 2012 WL 727271, W.D. Wash., March 06, 2012 (NO. C10-268Z).
- Successfully defended a board member of a home healthcare and hospice company and trustee of a related trust in a jury trial involving breach of contract and fiduciary duty claims. DeCesare v. DeCesare, et al., CL-2013-11180 (Va. Cir.).
- Secured an $8MM+ arbitration award in favor a private equity firm in its breach of contract claim with regard to the sale of a home healthcare company. HealthEdge Investment Fund, L.P., et al. v. Paul Gremillion, et al., 2015-CV-259163 (Ga. Sup. Ct.).
- Secured a nearly $5MM arbitration award in favor of a dental and veterinary imaging company in an accounting dispute with its purchaser regarding the calculation of a contingent purchase price earnout.