Bruce W. Doughty has been practicing law for more than twenty-five years, serving corporate, private, and governmental clients. Prior to joining Massey & Gail LLP, Mr. Doughty worked for over a decade as an associate and then a partner at Hopkins & Sutter, and thereafter spent more than eight years as a partner at the successor firm of Foley & Lardner LLP.
Mr. Doughty has litigated extensively at both the trial and appellate levels and before administrative agencies. He has played principal roles in a broad spectrum of cases, including constitutional challenges, energy rate cases, and multibillion-dollar bankruptcies, as well as matters involving software services, venture capital, trade secrets, banking, foreclosure, telecommunications, eminent domain, consumer class action, and general commercial disputes.
Mr. Doughty also has overseen comprehensive compliance programs, prepared detailed legal and regulatory opinions, and managed the implementation of mass claims procedures. He has both conducted and defended against companywide investigations of corporate practices, managerial decision-making, and operations. He also has counseled senior executives on a range of strategic issues, including business restructuring, legislative change, risk reduction, litigation prevention, and crisis management.
Mr. Doughty is a 1990 graduate of The University of Chicago Law School, where he was awarded the Joseph Henry Beale Prize for excellence in writing and was a member of The University of Chicago Legal Forum. He was a 1986-1987 Rotary Scholar to the University of Hong Kong, where he taught political science, and is a 1985 honors graduate of Princeton University.
- The University of Chicago Law School, J.D., 1990
- University of Hong Kong, Rotary Scholar, 1986-1987
- Princeton University, A.B., with honors, 1985
Awards & Honors
- Joseph Henry Beale Prize (outstanding first-year student in writing), The University of Chicago Law School
- Class of 1883 English Prize (outstanding freshman in English), Princeton University
- Board of Education Member, Glenbrook High School District 225
- Chair, Northbrook Community Relations Commission
- Board Member, Glenbrook Lacrosse Club
- Alumnus Interviewer of college applicants, Princeton University
- Pre-Cana Leader for counseling engaged couples, Archdiocese of Chicago
- Youth Soccer Coach, Northbrook Park District
- Represented group of insurers in winning Illinois Supreme Court decision declaring tax on premiums unconstitutional and securing favorable settlement.
- Defended information technology company in action over ownership and control of software and patents, achieving favorable settlement and avoiding extensive international litigation.
- Represented bankruptcy plan administrator, procuring multimillion-dollar preference recovery and protecting estate from hundreds of millions of dollars in claims.
- Represented telecommunications carrier in winning multimillion-dollar jury verdict against competitor for consumer protection and other violations.
- Defended fiber optic start-up against global leader’s trade secret suit to enjoin operations, obtaining favorable settlement with start-up intact and growing.
- Defended major utility in dozens of complaints over rates and billing practices, winning denial of complaint in every case tried at hearing.