Massey & Gail represents financial institutions in litigation (including in trials, arbitrations, mediations, and appeals) and provides industry-specific advice regarding regulatory and business issues. Frequently, major financial institutions also engage our firm to provide pre-litigation or dispute-related strategic counseling advice in areas of evolving technology and or regulatory scrutiny. Financial institutions have also turned to our firm for matters involving tax, real estate, employment, and other issues.
Our firm’s background and experience with multiple financial institutions, and our frequent work for and with the industry, give us a “leg up” as we get up to speed on particular matters and relevant issues, and we immediately understand how best to serve our financial clients.
Representative matters include:
- The firm won a defense verdict at trial and successfully defended that judgment before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals in a case involving a certified class alleging an over-$750 million violation of California’s Unfair Competition Law arising from allegedly deceptive adjustable rate mortgage loan disclosures.
- We represented a major bank in an antitrust class action settlement regarding allegedly anti-competitive interchange fees charged by credit card networks.
- We prosecuted, on behalf of a major financial institution, breach-of-contract and conversion claims in federal court, and achieved a favorable settlement on the eve of trial after winning summary judgment on defendant's liability.
- The firm secured dismissal of a Truth-in-Lending Act putative class action against a major financial institution seeking over $100 million in damages and then successfully defended that dismissal on appeal.
- We secured dismissal on appeal of a nationwide class action against a major financial institution alleging violations of the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act.
- We defended a major financial institution in state court against breach of contract and related statutory claims related to a massive financial fraud perpetrated by the financial officer of one of the institution’s customers.
- Firm lawyers provided strategic counseling advice to a major financial services company regarding emerging issues related to online and mobile payment platforms.
- We provided strategic advice to major financial institutions regarding contractual relationships with vendors and business partners as well as regulatory requirements.